We respect your rights to privacy under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and we comply with all of the Privacy Act’s requirements in respect of the collection, management and disclosure of your personal information.
What is your personal information?
Collection, use, holding and disclosure of personal information by Cherish
Cherish may collect the following types of personal information about you:
- mailing or street address;
- email address;
- telephone number;
- age or birth date;
- details of any donations you have made to us and/or credit card details used to make a donation; and
- any additional information relating to you that you provide to us through our website or to our representatives.
We may also collect sensitive information about you if it is necessary for us to provide our services to you or if you use our wh(y) track application (Application). Sensitive information includes health information (such as any medical conditions you may have, details of any medical treatment you may be receiving and your wishes about future medical treatment), racial or ethnic origin, sexual orientation or practices, religious or philosophical beliefs, criminal record, political opinions and membership of any political, professional or trade association or union.
We may also collect some information that is not personal information because it does not identify you or anyone else. For example, we may collect anonymous answers to surveys or aggregated information about how users use our website.
We collect your personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. When collecting personal information from you, we may collect in various ways, including:
through your access and use of our website, Application or social media channels including Facebook; or
when we deal with you over the phone or via email.
We collect personal information about you so that we can provide our services to you or otherwise engage with you. We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
to communicate with you for marketing purposes for example regarding donations, services, events, campaigns and causes;
- to enable you to make a donation to us;
- so you can apply to hold a fundraising attend on our behalf;
- to contact you about volunteering opportunities and to manage your volunteering activities;
- if you are attending a Cherish event, to manage your attendance at our event and to obtain payment from you
- for any attendance or entrance fees that may be payable;
- to enable you to download and use the Application;
- to assess the performance of our website and to improve the operation of our website;
- for the administrative, planning, product or service development, quality control and research purposes of us and our related parties, contractors or service providers;
- to provide your updated personal information to our related parties, contractors or service providers;
- to update our records and keep your contact details up to date;
- to process and respond to any complaint made by you; and
- to comply with any law, rule, regulation, lawful and binding determination, decision or direction of a regulator, or in co-operation with any governmental authority.
What happens if we can’t collect your personal information?
If you do not provide Cherish with the personal information described above, some or all of the following may happen:
- we may not be able to provide our services to you, either to the same standard or at all;
- we may not be able to provide you with information about our services that you may want;
- we may be unable to tailor the content of our website or our Application to your preferences and your
- experience of our website or your use of our Application may not be as enjoyable or useful; or
- you may not be able to download and use our Application.
As our website is linked to the internet, and the internet is inherently insecure, we cannot provide any assurance regarding the security of transmission of information you communicate to us online. We also cannot guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the internet. Accordingly, any personal information or other information which you transmit to us online is transmitted at your own risk.
Our website may contain links to other websites operated by third parties. We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third party website and we are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of any third party website. Third party websites are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices.
Who do we disclose your information to?
We may disclose your personal information to:
- our employees, related parties, contractors or service providers for the purposes of providing and administering our services, for the operation of our Application or our website or our business and otherwise for fulfilling requests made by you, and
- third parties as may be required in order for us to provide our Application or our other services to you, including, without limitation, web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, debt collectors, and professional advisors such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants;
- suppliers and other third parties with whom we have commercial relationships, for business, marketing, and related purposes; and
- any organisation for any authorised purpose with your express consent, for example in respect of personal information collected via the Application, to third parties for medical research purposes.
We may combine or share any information that we collect from you with information collected by any of our related parties (within Australia).
Direct marketing materials
We may send you e-newsletters, marketing communications and information about our events and services that we consider may be of interest to you. These communications may be sent in various forms, including mail, SMS, fax and email, in accordance with applicable marketing laws, such as the Spam Act 2003 (Cth). If you indicate a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method whenever practical to do so. In addition, at any time you may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by contacting us (see the details below) or by using opt-out facilities provided in the marketing communications and we will then ensure that your name is removed from our mailing list.
We do not provide your personal information to other organisations for the purposes of direct marketing.
Do we disclose your personal information to anyone outside Australia?
We may disclose personal information to our IT service providers located overseas for some of the purposes listed above. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipients of your personal information do not breach the privacy obligations relating to your personal information.
We may disclose your personal information to entities located outside of Australia, including to IT service providers, who are located in, or store personal information in, the United States of America and the European Economic Area.
Security and data quality
We take reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is protected from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We may hold your information in either electronic or hard copy form. Any personal information in hardcopy format is stored in locked filing cabinets. Personal information in electronic form is stored on password-protected computer servers. Personal information is destroyed or de-identified when no longer needed or when we are no longer required by law to retain it (whichever is the later).
How can you access and correct your personal information?
You may request access to any personal information we hold about you at any time by contacting us (see the details below). Where we hold information that you are entitled to access, we will try to provide you with suitable means of accessing it (for example, by mailing or emailing it to you). We may charge you a reasonable fee to cover our administrative and other reasonable costs in providing the information to you. We will not charge for simply making the request and will not charge for making any corrections to your personal information.
There may be instances where we cannot grant you access to the personal information we hold. For example, we may need to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy of others or if it would result in a breach of confidentiality. If that happens, we will give you written reasons for any refusal.
If you believe that personal information we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request that we correct it. We will consider if the information requires correction. If we do not agree that there are grounds for correction then we will add a note to the personal information stating that you disagree with it.
What is the process for complaining about a breach of privacy?
If you believe that your privacy has been breached, please contact our Office Manager using the contact information below and provide details of the incident so that we can investigate it.
We request that complaints about breaches of privacy be made in writing, so we can be sure about the details of the complaint. Our Office Manager deals with privacy complaints and any complaints should be directed to our Office Manager using the contact details below. We will attempt to confirm as appropriate and necessary with you your understanding of the conduct relevant to the complaint and what you expect as an outcome. We will inform you whether we will conduct an investigation, the name, title, and contact details of the investigating officer and the estimated completion date for the investigation process.
After we have completed our enquiries, we will contact you, usually in writing, to advise the outcome and invite a response to our conclusions about the complaint. If we receive a response from you, we will assess it and advise if we have changed our view.
Please contact our Office Manager at:
Post: Cherish Women’s Cancer Foundation
PO Box 82
RBWH Herston QLD 4029
Tel: 0488 333 723